Location: San Diego, CA 92121
Position type: Full time
Required education: Ph.D
Area(s) of expertise desired:
Kumquat Biosciences is committed to the discovery and development of innovative drugs to transform cancer treatments. Kumquat brings together an accomplished management team and distinguished scientific founder to translate innovative research to novel therapeutics. Our team has a proven track record of drug discovery and development, having played pivotal roles in the discovery of multiple clinical-stage compounds as well as approved drug for the treatment of cancer and immune-mediated inflammatory diseases.
We are seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic PhD-level Proteomics scientist to our experienced drug discovery and development team evaluating novel therapies for cancer and inflammatory diseases. The scientist will have a background in mass spectrometry-based proteomics or chemical biology. This candidate will report to the Director, Discovery Biology and work closely with team members to develop mass spectrometry-based assays and platforms to advance drug discovery programs. Most importantly, the position is suitable for a highly creative and goal-oriented scientist that seek scientific challenges and have a passion for mass spectrometry-based proteomics and chemical biology approaches in drug discovery.
- Develop and execute workflows using nanoLC / high-flow LC and Orbitrap mass spectrometers to measure ligand-protein interactions, either directly or using competition assays with probes.
- Responsible for MS instrument maintenance, troubleshooting and performance evaluation
- Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis of complex peptide samples (Targeted MS2, Label-free, TMT quantitation) using ProteomeDiscoverer and Skyline software for data analysis
- Perform intact protein analysis using Protein Deconvolution software
- Automate and optimize samples preparation for protein and peptides for mass spectrometry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Be an effective team player in a collaborative matrix-working environment
- Be a strong individual contributor, flexible, innovative and able to work on multiple projects and deliver results in a timely manner
- Ph.D with 0-3+ years of relevant industry experience in addition to postdoctoral experience
- Broad knowledge of proteomics techniques and workflows
- Expertise in preparing samples, running high-resolution mass spectrometers, and analyzing mass spectrometry data both qualitatively and quantitatively.
- Proficient in MS instrument maintenance, troubleshooting and performance evaluation
- Familiar with or interested in automation of workflows including protein digestion, desalting, peptide quantitation and chemical labelling of peptides for multiplexing.
- Experience with a range of proteomics workflows (IP-MS, activity-based proteomics)
- Experienced with quantitative proteomics workflows such Targeted MS2, label-free and TMT quantitation) including data analysis
- Excellent presentation skills (written and oral) that enrich team-based progress
- Ability to work independently and effectively within timelines and to collaborate in a multidisciplinary environment
Kumquat Biosciences offers an attractive salary and benefits package, including equity incentives. Job candidates should be aware that full vaccination against COVID-19: is required subject to legally required exceptions. Kumquat is an equal opportunity employer and encourages potential or current employees to request a reasonable accommodation under federal, state and local regulations, should one be needed. To apply, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org